Image Map

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wonderopolis

I just found out about Wonderopolis the other day.



Each day a new "wonder" is posted.  This wonder can be about anything, from what the smallest state is to where last names come from.  There is a video along with each post that relates to the topic.  There is also an explanation of the posted wonder and words that may be unknown to students are underlined.  If you run your mouse over the underlined word a definition will pop up.  Comments are encouraged.  From what I've seen there is one class who comments every day.  They will comment on what they thought about the wonder, a connection to their life, a prediction, a WWOTD, which I believe is "Wonder Word of the Day" where the student will list a word and definition they learned in the post.  If you click on "Explore Wonders" on the right side you can find all the wonders that have been posted.  There is even a search area to find wonders that align with Common Core for grades and subjects.

I have been in classes where the teacher will post a brain buster of the day and I think this is a great alternative.  I think Wonderopolis would be a fantastic tool for morning work or even to have students search for topics for a project.

This is a site I can see myself using in the future.  I believe students will enjoy it and it is meaningful to their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment